Friday, March 15, 2019

The Trauma of New Business Cards

The  front of my business card.
Trauma or Drama?

To set the scene, I  have two big art events coming up - one a plein air paint out and one an art conference. At both I will be meeting new and interesting people; therefore, I concluded that I  should order some new business cards. Sounds simple! There is a business card website that I have used before, and it is inexpensive at $10 for 100 business cards. Also, I have images of all of my recent works --- this should be a snap.

Well..I created no less than 10 versions of a draft business card online... it was a struggle. I did not envision spending this much time creating the card. First, I had to chose potential images that I wanted to use on the card, no problem. Next I reviewed all of  my art friends business cards. I really liked a vertical card with one image on the front and the artist info on the back. Simple, nice and great visual impact. I can create something like that right?

I had no issues uploading my art images; however, on the website I could not crop the images or adjust them the way that I wanted to. I could not fit the images to the edges and I could not figure out how to make the overall business card image larger to review/proof the edges. I had to go back and edit the images in PowerPoint. Then there were several attempts at putting the images in a different order.  I persisted and I got frustrated. After what felt like 2 days, I gave up on the vertical business card.

I did not anticipate this much business card drama! I did not anticipate spending this much time on a new business card! I realize that I am tough on myself and the process but I have a vision! Yes #sopicky!

Finally, exhausted, I had to relent and put an image on a horizontal business card. One image on the front of the card-- a lovely landscape. And, I like it! Which leads to the next problem, designing the back of the business card.  The information I want to put on the back includes- name, website, email. What colors should I use and should I add additional images? This takes awhile too! Eventually, I figure out the font and the colors and the images for the back of the card. I print numerous proofs to ensure that everything looks correct and legible.

Finally, the new cards are ordered. Fingers crossed there is no more drama!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to see your comments here, thank you!